Awakening a Community

By Juan Fernández


Every day I believe I’m wasting another chance to awake myself and everyone in my surroundings.
 
How do I make my community better, not only for me and my environment, but for my kids and their generation?

How do I keep myself from detaching of the previous generation and their dream of returning to their country? How do I engage with the next generation and while moving them forward I help them remember their ancestors?

Our community has a missing link.

The Latin-American community of community district 9 has been dormant for four decades, while we see other community undergo a “renaissance” and other a re-discover of essence, we haven’t even have the chance to wake up. We have a missing link. We are a community without grand parents. Orphans produced by our own environment.

We have finally achieved the stage where our children still have their grandfather around to tell them stories, our past, our times gone by and with such action past the burning torch to the next generation.

We have finally reached the point of having a bridging generation, mine, to link our kids with their grand parents. This is the moment to awake…today…now!

A community can only be awaken by it’s own members, with a group of leaders from it’s own making, not by launching forward into the next platform, but rather by keeping them around us long enough to see them develop and allowing them to shape and affect the next generation.

Over the years some individuals have been launched by our community with the goal to be the mast of our future navigation, however, they have evolved into hemophiliacs that bleed themselves to extinction without achieving the goal we thought they could deliver.

Awaking the Latino community of community district 9 is going to require some sacrifices, not by the springing of some natural leaders, like it’s happening in other Latino communities, but by creating a systematic series of “spins” that could start a social revolution.

No hay comentarios.: